We live in a strange world. Third World countries are “liberated” by occupying them; humanitarian intervention is carried out by dropping bombs over cities. Weak countries are asked to prove that they are innocent of harbouring any evil intentions rather than prosecutors proving guilt: Iran is repeatedly asked to prove that it has no intention of embarking upon a nuclear weapons program. Meanwhile, back home in India, pro-democracy activists seem unable to make up their minds as to what is more important – democracy or territorial integrity.
Headlines on 2nd October, 2011
- Team Anna conducts referendum on Jan Lokpal Bill – Hindustan Times [http://www.hindustantimes.com/Team-Anna-conducts-referendum-on-Jan-Lokpal-Bill/Article1-752784.aspx]
- Team Anna launches referendum on Jan Lokpal Bill – Times of India [http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-10-02/india/30235133_1_team-anna-referendum-lokpal-bill]
Headlines on October 14:
- Team Anna distances itself from Prashant Bhushan's comments on Kashmir – Times of India [http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Team-Anna-distances-itself-from-Prashant-Bhushans-comments-on-Kashmir/articleshow/10351687.cms]
- His Kashmir views rankle Anna but Bhushan to stay in Team – The Hindu [http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article2537801.ece]
So, what views of Prashant Bhushan did Anna Hazare disapprove of? Well, it turns out that Prashant Bhushan supports the idea of a referendum to resolve the Kashmir issue. Apparently Anna Hazare has a secret formula to determine when referendums are required and when to be rejected. Anna Hazare went even a step further and declared that Kashmir is an integral part of India. Well, it is customary of Hazare to settle all matters by his declarations – like how he declared that only his version of Lokpal bill was worthy enough of being passed by the Parliament.
Meanwhile, Prashant bhushan’s support for Kashmiri’s right of self-determination has so much infuriated the anti-corruption “nationalists” that they are demanding he be removed from the core of Team Anna.
- Remove Prashant Bhushan from Core group:IACJK – IBN [http://ibnlive.in.com/generalnewsfeed/news/remove-prashant-bhushan-from-core-groupiacjk/863171.html] [Note: IACJK stands for India Against Corruption – J&K unit]
- Expel Prashant Bhushan from team: MS Bitta tells Anna – DNA [http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_expel-prashant-bhushan-from-team-ms-bitta-tells-anna_1599118]
Surely, we live in strange times.